The corona virus pandemic is very scary for every individual. The speed at which the virus moves and the potential lethal effect it could have on an individual who contracts it is enough to make any reasonable individual scared and worried about the future.
In an online article on usnews.com, Dr. Ziv Cohen, assistant professor of psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City, said the effects of being scared are numerous. Anxiety can manifest itself in many different ways. For example it’s quite possible that the following may be some signs you might be experiencing:
1. Fear of talking to people;
2. Panic shopping.
So what can you do? Well Dr. Cohen suggests you try the following:
1. Take a break from the news and social media;
2. Engage in self-care - read a book, listen to music, or even meditate;
3. Get some exercise: go for a walk;
4. Breathe through your belly - breathe from your diaphragm and let your belly release the air. Try to do it 10 times in a row if you feel stressed.
5. Reconnect - call or FaceTime a friend. Talk about anything but the virus. Have a laugh about old times;
6. Call a professional - if you feel your mental health is getting worse, call a trained professional for support. Many professionals are now offering video visits.
Remind yourself that, if you practice social distancing and take precautions, you will get through this pandemic safe and sound!